Saturday 6 July 2013

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Hello there! Today's blog comes to you from a 27 degree (that's centigrade) heatwave here in the North of England! I do feel for the southerners, you're probably in humidity hell down there so keep well hydrated and stay safe where ever you may be.

Today I did something which for me is a pretty big deal. I made my first youtube video! *gasp* here's a little screen shot from it while it uploads.


 I will edit the video into this post once it has uploaded.




It's something I've wanted to do for a while but I've never felt quite confident enough or interesting to really pull it off. But then I had a wondrous realisation; you don't need to be anything other than you to pull something off successfully! It's like a blog or any other creative outlet. If people are interested in what you're talking/writing about then they'll watch/read it and that's all there is to it. As long as you're passionate and committed to your art then you can't go far wrong in life. 

This lead me to thinking about all the times I've held back from doing something for the first time just because I felt like my attempt or what I could achieve wouldn't be as markedly impressive as others. And I realised pretty quickly that that's a rubbish way to look at things. If you go through life evaluating yourself against your peers it's going to be a very long and miserable road you will travel along, my friend. 

I feel like we're currently in a culture where we are very much focused on how successful or popular our internet pages are i.e. how many twitter followers, tumblr followers, Facebook friends etc. I'll be honest, I've got two twitter pages - one has 167 followers and the other 27. My tumblr has 615 followers and my Facebook friend count is around 200. This blog of mine has a grand total of....0 followers. And this is the online space I'm most truthful and most proud of, so I don't care!

Basically, in a very round about way, I'm trying to say don't spend too long dwelling on the fact your friend has more twitter followers or more people reblog their posts on tumblr. It simply does not matter. Don't be afraid to try something for the first time. Do a sketch, make a video, write a song, knit a scarf! Be creative and inspiring to others, but above all else, be yourself. 

Much love and other things xo

P.S. If you've read this post, tell me when was the last time you did something for the first time? Leave me a comment below! xo

4 comments:

  1. ooo congrats we are going to be doing our first in a few weeks time and I know what you mean they can be quite nerve racking

    Carrieanne x

    http://beautiesunlocked.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes very nerve wracking but well worth doing. I'll make sure to check yours out once you upload :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. Good on you for making a video! I started making YouTube vids to go along with my blog a few months ago and I've never looked back. I was so nervous the first few times but then I thought who cares if people think its a waste of time or they don't like me - I'm doing it for me. I look forward to watching much more of you :) Amy x

    www.boldlygold.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, thank you so much for the comment! I know, I think I've finally realised that if I want to do something, then I shouldn't let myself be held back by being concerned how other people will react. Nice to do something just because I want to for once! Heather x

      Delete